No, we don’t make this up as we go along. The structure of the Chapter is dictated by Article 5 of the Annual Charter. It reads:
Article V – Officers
- Affiliated chapters shall have the following primary officers: Director, Assistant Director, Treasurer and Secretary. Other discretionary officers may be appointed as needed.
- The sponsoring dealer may assume any, or all, officer position(s) including their respective responsibilities and may remove any officer from office in the dealer’s sole discretion. The sponsoring dealer may determine how chapter officers are selected and the length of their terms in office.
- The sponsoring dealer has the authority to require the chapter to perform to the sponsoring dealer’s standards and is to assure H.O.G. that the chapter abides by this Charter and the Operating Policies.
- The duties and responsibilities of the primary (required) chapter officers shall be as follows:
Primary Chapter Officers
- Director: The Director shall uphold this Charter and the chapter by-laws, conduct chapter meetings and coordinate chapter officer responsibilities.
- Assistant Director: The Assistant Director shall assist the Director in carrying out the Director’s duties. The Assistant Director shall also be responsible for promoting membership, membership orientation, membership retention, and keeping the chapter members informed of H.O.G. programs.
- Treasurer: The Treasurer shall be responsible for the collection and disbursement of chapter funds, reporting the financial transactions to the membership on a monthly basis, submitting an annual financial report to H.O.G., compliance with all revenue recording and reporting requirements.
- Secretary: The Secretary shall be responsible for the administrative needs of the chapter, keeping the minutes of chapter annual business meetings and general meetings, oversees the position of membership officer if it exists, ensuring that all chapter members are current H.O.G. members, having on file a signed copy of the Annual Chapter Membership Enrollment Form and Release of each member as signed on an annual basis, and submitting to H.O.G. the H.O.G. Chapter Charter Application and any other reports as required by H.O.G. Further, the Secretary shall ensure that all insurance requirements are met (including participant signatures to required release forms), shall ensure preparation of injury report forms, timely submission of injury report forms to the appropriate insurance company and shall be responsible for the maintenance and storage of release forms and injury reports.
Discretionary Chapter Officers
The duties and responsibilities of the discretionary chapter officers shall be:
- Activities Officer: The Activities Officer shall be responsible for the administration of chapter events.
- Ladies of Harley Officer: The LOH Officer shall be responsible for encouraging women members to take an active part in chapter activities.
- Road Captain: The Road Captain(s) shall be responsible for assisting in the planning of routes for chapter rides and keeping the Chapter informed of all H.O.G. programs.
- Editor: The Editor shall be responsible for assembling and organizing written, oral (broadcast) and electronic material for chapter publications, e.g., newsletters, press releases. All chapter publications, whether written, oral (broadcast) or electronic, shall be subject to approval by the sponsoring dealer prior to publication.
- Safety Officer: The Safety Officer shall be responsible for providing chapter members with information relating to the availability of rider training.
- Photographer: The Photographer shall be responsible for obtaining and organizing chapter photographs for use in chapter publications and chapter history albums.
- Historian: The Historian shall be responsible for the preparation and maintenance of a written account of the history of the chapter, to include officer positions, chapter activities and membership levels.
- Membership Officer: The Membership Officer shall be responsible for ensuring that all chapter members are current H.O.G. members, having on file a signed copy of the Annual Chapter Membership Enrollment Form & Release of each member as signed on an annual basis; maintains chapter membership report, and maintaining report on the Chapter Officer section of members.hog.com.
- Webmaster: The Webmaster shall be responsible for assembling and organizing material for the Chapter Web site and seeking approval from the sponsoring dealer prior to publication.
Additionally, due to the number of members and the complexity of various activities, the Milwaukee Chapter requires the following positions as well:
- Head Road Captain
- Assistant Head Road Captain
- Assistant Safety Officer
- Assistant LOH Officer
- Assistant Historian
- Assistant Photographer
- Volunteer Coordinator
- Assistant Volunteer Coordinator
- Assistant Activities Officer
- Parade Coordinator
- Member at Large
Lastly, members may also may choose to become a member of the Ladies of Harley, and are also eligible to join the Chapter Bowling League!